Friday, August 3, 2012

To Prep or Not to Prep

With an election less than 100 days away, I worry about what's to come in 2013.  Our country is in a desperate situation and it doesn't seem that there is anything in the works to improve matters.  If anything, it looks like more of the same ~ overspending by the government and stimulus packages that do nothing but cause more overspending.  I don't think that either candidate has a clue about what the little guy is going through and how much we worry about our children's and grandchildren's futures.
My husband and I are in our early 60's and we had to retire (me to care for several of our grandchildren so that their parents could work and he because of several major health issues).  We are lucky enough to have a pension and, in 2013, we (hopefully) will be able to get our social security.  Our medical insurance premiums eat up about 2/3 of our monthly pension payment not leaving too much more for bills, food, gas, etc.  Thankfully, I have a job as a data entry clerk (from home) that enables me to watch our grandkids during the day and tap on the keys at night.  It gives us enough for food and gas.  The bills (credit cards, car & house insurance) get paid but just barely.  I cut every coupon from on-line services, sunday papers, etc. that I can and I save about $50 a month on average.  I buy our clothes at the Goodwill store and at yard sales. 
We have chickens (eggs) and a large vegetable garden & small orchard.  We can cut corners with these, also.  Next year, we plan to sell some of our vegetables and cut flowers at the local Farmer's Market.
We are trying to put away nonperishable foods in case the economy worsens and have tried to convince our kids to do the same.
Have I forgotten anything?  Are you taking measures to prepare for a recession (the "R" word)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment