Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Super Snowstorm Stella

Here we are only 6 days from the official start of Spring 2017 and we are dealing with a Blizzard named Stella.  Why do we name snowstorms now?  I can't remember giving names to storms (except for Hurricanes) when I was young.  Anyway, Stella is wreaking havoc on the East Coast.  The snow is blowing horizontally at 30 to 40 mph and there is no visibility ~ our barn is down an incline about 200 feet from our log cabin and, when the wind is blowing the snow around, it is barely visible.  Hubby has been out to plow our driveway only once since there is a lot more snow to come and he would rather wait until the wind settles down a bit.  We are the last house on a private road/driveway and we are set back about 600 feet from a town-maintained road so, after our plow guy retired last April, we were forced to buy an old plow truck.  It's a good thing that we did since, with all of the storms that we've had this year, our plowing bill would have been horrible.  I hope that those of you experiencing Stella this week are home where you're safe & warm.  This weather is not fit nor man nor beast.
Well, I am more than ready to get started on my garden but Mother Nature is not cooperating.  I was hoping to get an early start (maybe mid-May this year) but it might be more like the first week in June at this rate.  I haven't ordered my seed potatoes or baby chicks yet since it would be disastrous if they were delayed at an airport or somewhere because of bad weather.  I have all of the other seeds that I needed and the asparagus roots will be shipped the second week in April.  We have one small asparagus patch but we love that veggie so much that I ordered 25 more roots so we could start another patch.  Vegetables never go to waste in this family ~ we have 2 daughters with their families (including 5 grandsons), my mother and several brothers and their families. 
It's expected that because of the storm, we will probably lose power so I won't be staying on my blog too long.  I'd hate to have a nice long story erased by a power outage ~ so frustrating!!!!!!  Anyway, stay safe & warm those of you who are suffering along with us here in New Hampshire.  Stella will be gone in a day or so & things will get back to normal with cold & wind and winter (at least for 6 more days).  Then, the snow will melt, the grass will be green and the daffodils will rise up and smile at the prospect of Spring.  I'm just dreaming.........

No comments:

Post a Comment