Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spring Is Finally Here...................

We're already nearing the end of April and there's still so much to do to get the garden ready for planting.  My husband repaired the fencing and he will rototill the soil but he's having trouble keeping the tiller going ~ he's going to clean the carburetor this afternoon to see if the problem is "gunk" that has built up over the winter.  I think that there might be a mouse's nest in there somewhere since the rototiller has been stored in the barn all winter. 
I have all of my seeds as well as 75 lbs. of seed potatoes (some will go to my friend for her garden and some to my daughter & 3 grandsons for their garden), onion sets & some celery that I grew from the bottom of celery stalks ~ they're doing great & I can't wait to get them into the soil.  In a few weeks, I will visit our local nursery and get my tomato, cucumber & broccoli plants (I'm not promising that those are the only things that I'll leave the nursery with ~ I'm addicted to plants).
I'm thinking of raising some rabbits since I've done this before and I enjoyed it (I have never bred them but I have kept rabbits as pets).  Have any of you done this & do you have any suggestions?  We have a small coop that was previously used for baby chicks & it would be great for up to 5 or 6 rabbits ~ it would just need a secure fenced area for the rabbits to graze and enjoy the outside.
My husband has suggested raising turkeys for our freezer and for our relatives to enjoy, too.  Have any of you done this?  Is it difficult to butcher them & remove the feathers?  I have done some research and it appears that the best type to get would be the Broad-breasted white turkeys.  They get really big and the white ones are easier to de-feather. 
I am really excited about the Spring this year ~ it seems like winter lasted forever.  It is so nice to see the leaves popping out and breathing in air that doesn't freeze your nose hairs. 
Our pond is finally thawed and we have been visited by our old friend the Kingfisher, Canadian geese, wood ducks, mallard ducks, a heron & Goshen  hawks (I hate those buggers cuz they think that my yard is a Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-thru).  We lost 4 hens in the past few months.  We have hung holographic tape throughout the yard and, so far so good ~ no swooping down and ripping my chickens apart.  We gave some of the tape to our neighbor across the pond and she has had great luck with it.  I just may have to buy some more.
Well, enough for today ~ it is cold & damp outside and I have chicken soup warming in the crock pot ~ comfort food for supper tonight.  I am going to bake some cornbread muffins to eat with the soup so I guess I'd better go for now.  Enjoy the Spring weather..........talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment